1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering taking a job in California

Discussion in 'Legal' started by whatnickname, Oct 8, 2012.

  1. whatnickname

    whatnickname Member

    Aug 16, 2008
    I've been reading quite a bit on the California DOJ. Damn...pretty pathetic. Just need some help with an overview to make sure I haven't missed anything.

    1) Within 60 days I have to register all my handguns. The jack booted thug I spoke with at the DOJ said there were no restrictions on the handguns I can bring into the state with the exception that I cannot possess any hi-capacity magazines (anything over ten rounds) of any kind. Seems a little inaccurate to me, as I see that people in California are only permitted to buy specifically listed guns. Are my Glocks, Sigs, Springfield XDs and second and third generation S&W handguns legal for me to bring into the state (without the hi-cap mags of course) Am I getting good information here?

    2) Apparently I cannot bring my AR15 at all. Are there any exceptions that an be made here?

    3) Can only purchase one handgun a month. Do I have to get a permit to purchase a handgun of any type? What is the criteria for permitting someone to purchase a handgin?

    4) All gun sales must go through a dealer with an FFL with the exception of a black powder firearm. Is this correct?

    5) Concealed weapons permits appear to be at the pleasure of the local police authority based on their appraisal of "need". So what are my chances of getting a permit to carry? Based on what I've read to this point they appear to fall somewhere between slim and none! Correct?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  2. danez71

    danez71 Senior Member

    Aug 17, 2009
    1) Yes. With-in 60 Days. You can get the form off the CA DOJ website. there is a cost per gun. the guns you bring in do not have to be on the CA approved roster. But no 11+ round mags. No threaded barrels. The guns you listed are fine as long as no threaded barrels and no 11+ mags.

    2) Not sure.. I'm not savvy enough. I think there is a way but I'll reserve my speculation.

    3) Yes, only every 30 Days. Yes, you need a HSC (handgun saftey certificate). Its an easy written test that a lot of the local sporting goods places can give you.

    4) Right. No face to facte private party transfers of hand guns - everything thru an FFL. 99% sure black powder is an exception. CA is looking at requiring rifles to go thru FFL too but it hasnt passed yet.

    5) It depends on where you live. San Francisco and most of the densly populated areas closer to the coast like Orange County, San Diego, LA its slim pickens. The more rural the area the better your chances are.
  3. Zoogster

    Zoogster Senior Member

    Oct 27, 2006
    You can bring any handguns you already own. Once you are in California you are limited to that list for new purchases (outside exemptions.)

    Magazines must be under 10 rounds.
    No threaded barrels on handguns (turns them into illegal assault weapons.)
    Handguns that take a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip are also not allowed or must be modified.

    Long guns are more complicated. There is both features, as well as a list of specific guns that no matter what features they have are always banned by name.
    Some AR-15s can be made to comply by not having a variety of features, or by installing what is often termed a bullet button and prevents pressing the mag release without a 'tool'.
    Others are always illegal, being banned recievers by name, and so assault weapons even as a stripped receiver.

    Purchasing a handgun is easy. You fill out some paperwork, have to pay an extra $25+5 in fees. There is also what is similar to a written drivers test multiple choice thing you must do, offered by various places including some FFLs. This gives you a Handgun Safety Certificate good for 5 years. There is a study book about the size of a drivers license handbook, but most of the questions are so simple you are unlikey to need it. This tests costs $25 in addition.
    There is a 10 day waiting period for all guns after purchase before you can come back and pick it up. Even if you already own guns, you need this cooling off period before they put a gun in your hand.

    All transfers must go through an FFL. So there is a $30 extra charge and 10 day wait just to buy or sell a gun with your neighbor.
    FFLs operate at a fixed price they can charge for in state transfers.
    Out of state transfers do not have this limitation, which means you often get ripped off to transfer a gun from out of state. (Many charge $50-$100 to transfer a gun from out of state.)
    Rifles and shotguns do have to go through an FFL, all guns do.
    What is different is long guns are not registered, handguns are. A law already was passed to change this but has not yet taken effect. The law comes into effect in 2014, at which point long guns purchased will all be automatically registered in a state database (as handguns already are) too.
    Then people moving into the state will also have to register long guns just like you currently do handguns, and pay the associated per gun fee.

    Many guns in California seem to cost more in store than in other states. Most FFLs charge over $50 to transfer shipped guns from out of state, and CA now requires FFLs to collect sales tax on them as well. So once you are in CA you get far fewer good deals on firearms compared to other states. The extra transfer fee and sales tax plus shipping means few good deals online are really deals at all compared to local price tags in stores anymore. You would have to find one for at least a couple hundred less to even be close to breaking even on a typical gun price tag.

    No concealed carry for average people in most populated counties along the coast. Some rural counties are better, but most of the jobs and most of the population in the state are in the counties that don't issue.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. whatnickname

    whatnickname Member

    Aug 16, 2008
    Thanks guys

    I appreciate your help.
  5. Frank Ettin

    Frank Ettin Moderator

    Apr 29, 2006
    California - San Francisco Bay Area
    The Calguns Wiki is an excellent source for information on California gun laws.
  6. firesky101

    firesky101 Senior Member

    Nov 21, 2011
    You have gotten some good info, especially about that calguns reference from Frank. I will add that for the time being we can still cash and carry private transfers of C&R long guns. It is important to note that not all C&R's are C&R for California. They absolutely must be 50 years old to qualify.
  7. 9mmepiphany

    9mmepiphany Moderator

    Dec 27, 2002
    northern california
    Please do read the Calguns Wiki as it will answer a lot of your questions, a lot of information you believe is incorrect or incomplete. Let me attempt some short answers (in blue):

    Which area are you looking to relocate to?
  8. splithoof

    splithoof Senior Member

    Dec 26, 2010
    Good, solid info above. One word of caution, however: not all LE officers fully comprehend all the very complex laws, so be careful. It can be very difficult to get agencies to return seized firearms, often requiring the use of qualified legal counsel. A great organization is the California Rifle & Pistol Association; they have lots of good sense information and are leading the ongoing struggle for our civil rights.
  9. azgsmith

    azgsmith New Member

    Oct 9, 2012
    If you can avoid it, do so.

    I lived in california for 40 years and watched its decline since from another state. Freedoms are being widdled away one at a time as the liberal politicians there line there pockets over tax and control their subjects. If you can avoid it, why support an unfree state with your hard labor, your tax dollars and wages that dont support the high cost of living. I never forgot the words from a man from alaska, "You have great weather here in California, but you pay for it dearly." He was right and I left shortly there after.

Share This Page