1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glock 21 in Calli

Discussion in 'Legal' started by okespe04, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okespe04

    okespe04 Member

    Dec 17, 2008
    I run a cash business and carry most all the time for that reason. I do most of my business in Oregon and Washington which are both gun friendly states. I do however have one venue in California and would like to bring some protection with me when I travel there. I two questions:

    First: None of my hand guns are California legal. My Glock 21 holds 13 in the mag and my LCP has no safety. If I buy a 10 round mag for my G21 will it be Calli legal?

    Second: I know California would never let me conceal carry in their state. However if my G21 is legal with 10 round mag how would I go about bringing with me to California? My main objective is to simply have it with me when I'm in my hotel room.

    I should add that the hotel I stay in does have a safe so once I get there the gun can stay in the safe when I am not in the room.

    Thanks for any input.
  2. zammyman

    zammyman member

    Nov 2, 2008
    I'd contact the DA office in the county you'll be in or the County Sheriff/PD... see if you can get a site that gives state/local laws.
  3. fun2none

    fun2none Member

    Jan 11, 2003
    As far as I know, it's not illegal for an non-resident to transport a handgun into California so long as 1) you not a prohibited person (felony conviction, etc.), 2) the handgun is not an assault weapon per California law, 3) and you are using the gun for a lawful purpose; don't do anything illegal with a gun.

    It is illegal to import any magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. It doesn't matter if your gun is on California roster of approved guns since your are not a state resident and you are not bringing the gun into the state for resale.

    In my opinion, having a loaded Glock 21 with a 10 round magazine in the confines of your motel room is legal. However, as soon as you leave your temporary residence and enter a vehicle, the gun must be unloaded and transported in a locked container.
  4. glockman19

    glockman19 Member

    Mar 16, 2007
    YES 10 round mags will make your Glock CA legal.

    You can legally carry concealed in your hotel room a loaded gun. The hotel room is considered your residence. Also legal to CCW in a tent at a camp ground.

    When traveling through the state it must be unloaded and locked in a case. Magazine can be loaded but NOT attached to the firearm.

    Please stop by:
    www.calguns.net for more questions, answers and information.
  5. billwiese

    billwiese Member

    Apr 19, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Do not bring in hicap mags to CA.

    You indeed can bring in your G21 pistol itself (with a 10rd mag) and the LCP.

    The guns themselves are legal to bring in regardless of whether they're on the "Roster of Handguns Approved for Sale in CA" (that only applies to FFL sale/resale).

    Locked/unloaded when transporting. Once it's in your hotel room load up and put it under your pillow.

    Bill Wiese
    San Jose CA
  6. Rugerlvr

    Rugerlvr Member

    May 1, 2006
    Sorry to Necro this thread, but I'm thinking of doing a road trip into CA in the fall. I'll be passing thru states where I can legally carry concealed (Utah Permit) and will have my S&W 642. I know about locking it unloaded in a hardcase for transport through the state, and about bringing it inside the hotel room for protection while I'm there, what I don't know is, can my box of ammo live inside the hard case also? Should it be kept seperate? Oh, and would the plastic case the gun came in be adequate for the "hard" case?

    Thanks in advance.
  7. Cutter

    Cutter Member

    Feb 15, 2009
    Northern CA
    This site should tell you all you need to know.


    From what I know you can keep the ammunition in the same locked case just as long as the firearm itself is not loaded. Say you kept a couple speedloaders in the case as well and the box was locked, that would be ok.

    Just make sure you get the straight facts from the CA DOJ website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page