1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grip frame for OM BH vaquero

Discussion in 'Handguns: Revolvers' started by Bill_G, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_G

    Bill_G Member

    Sep 1, 2006
    Central Pennsylvania
    i have a bird's head vaquero and would like to put a "grip frame" from a regular vaquero on it. i find the micarta grips on my BH to be not grippy enough.

    i figure if i get the regular '"frame," i would have access to many 3rd party rubber grips. does anyone have a link to a frame i could buy that would fit my BH??

    i see 2 screws that seem to hold the frame on to the pistol. hopefully its something i can do and would not need a gunsmith to do?

    thanks in advance......Bill
  2. BlkHawk73

    BlkHawk73 Member

    Mar 27, 2003
    The grip frames will swap out quite easily. There's two screws by the hammer, and one in front of the trigger gaurd, Very easy to chnage them out. Any of the ruger SA grip frames will fit. Just a FYI, there is no OM Vaquero. OM refers to the pre-73 models which are identifyable by the three screws on the cylinder frame - hence being called 3-screws. There's the Vaquero and the current New Vaquero - two different models built on two differnt frames. Both of which are "New Models".

    check your messages about a grip frame.
  3. eliphalet

    eliphalet Member

    Apr 16, 2007
    Your saying that the New Vaquero's grip frame will fit a first model Vaquaro's main frame?
    If so I wonder if you would get the "feel" of the new model on the larger stronger first Vaquero frame or would there be enough difference to matter.
    Any idea?
  4. Jim March

    Jim March Member

    Dec 24, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    FIRST: to those who understand Rugers, an "Old Model" or "OM" Ruger single action means pre-1973. M'kay? We do sometimes say "Old Vaquero" but all Vaqueros are "NEW MODEL" in that they have the transfer-bar action post-'73.

    OK, two points:

    * If you want to splice a New Vaq grip frame into an "Old Vaquero", it's easy, BUT you need to either use the New Vaq-length mainspring and mainspring strut and keep the lock, or somehow disable the lock and run the "Old Vaq"-length mainspring and mainspring strut. The New Vaq lock is fairly long and leaves less room for the mainspring and strut, so new shorter parts are used.

    * The option is a grip frame that Power Custom came up with years ago. It's a grip frame the same size as the Colt SAA, extremely similar therefore to the New Vaq and doesn't use a lock...so it takes all the normal Old Vaq innards as drop-ins. See also the "revolver" link at:


    Now. I have *heard* that taking the New Vaq lock, gutting the lock and cutting it horizontally in half will allow you to use the Old Vaq-length mainspring and strut. Doing so disables the lock and renders Ruger upset with you. But supposedly the longer mainspring has a better feel to it and you can run a lighter replacement Wolff or similar spring and still get reliable ignition. This works in the New Vaq, or in that grip frame adapted over to Old Vaq or some other Ruger SA.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page