1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Suggestions on Insurance And Storage for A Large Military Collection.

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by geolemer, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geolemer

    geolemer Member

    Aug 20, 2008
    Need Suggestions on Insurance And Storage for A Large Military Collection.

    I have a large military collection consisting of the following Items and do to repeated burglaries at my residence need to insure them as soon as possible.
    I own all of the following and also need suggestions on proper storage to prevent theft, rodent, water and insect damage.

    30+ mid grand military rifles, pistols, and shotguns.
    Over 1000 BDU type jackets from different countries
    Over 250 coat and parka from different countries all with liners
    10 helmets
    Over 100 tents (200 haves)
    1500 to 1600 pistol belts
    3 pre WW2 mess kits
    4 cots
    100 face masks
    15+ bayonets
    Over 100 pair goggles
    15 military holsters
    200+ M16 AR-15 magazines
    Over 100 pouches vests and Duffle Bags
    Military Coins and Papers
    Over 100 Pair Gloves
    100 Coveralls
    About 2000 Suspenders
    About 1000 hats and berets
    As well as 1000s of items I can't even remember
    It is currently completely uninsured and all stored in one barn unlock (excepted the guns) I don't even know if there is even an Insurance that covers this type of thing but I would like to get some type of an appraisal if there is or not. Some of the collections I've purchased has cost me 1000s alone. I would hate to think of the loss of collection this size. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. leadcounsel

    leadcounsel member

    Jun 5, 2006
    Tacoma, WA
    Um... how about calling an insurance company and asking them?

    The guns may or may not be covered under a general renters or home owners insurance, probably to a limit of $10,000 give or take.

    You may need a supplemental gun insurance, that also covers mags and ammo. Some companies require serial numbers. Other companies don't, such as the NRA Armscare policy.

    Non-gun stuff is covered under the limits of personal property.

    As with anything, take pictures and video to document.

    Consider buying a $2000 fire and burglar resistant safe for the guns and coins, and other pilferable stuff.
  3. gspn

    gspn Member

    Jun 10, 2006
    No problem...just tell me where that unlocked barn is and I'll give you an estimate.;)
  4. medalguy

    medalguy Member

    Mar 20, 2009
    New Mexico
    Sounds like my garage. :scrutiny:

    The guns are the big item. Look at your homeowners policy and see what the unscheduled property coverage limits are. May be as low as $2500. You can schedule them, by SN, for an additional fee, or pick up collectors insurance.

    The other stuff should be covered as personal property, again check your own policy limits, and be sure you have insured "other structures" for the value of the barn as well as contents.

    As suggested, check with your own agent. He's the best source for information. If you're not already doing this, have your agent sit down with you at least once every two years and go over your policy, the limits, the coverage and exclusions, and the cost. Things have a way of changing with time.
  5. S.W.G.

    S.W.G. Member

    Nov 24, 2010
    Wow. Skimming through your list, you could probably open a small museum.

    Maybe an old B-52 hangar?;)

    On a serious note, a rental unit and half a dozen padlocks would be the simplest route.
  6. Keb

    Keb Member

    Dec 1, 2005
    Colo & WA
  7. longspurr

    longspurr Member

    Dec 31, 2002
    by the lake - in wonderful Wisconsin
    1. Insurance is kind of like the cops. They only show up after the fact and ask lots of questions.
    2. Have you ever heard of anyone praising the insurance companies and getting ALL necessary MONEY to buy replacement items?

    Not to say don’t buy insurance, but I think it is even more important to minimize the risk of losing the items. What are the real risks? Fire? Flood? Tornado? THEFT?

    Fire prevention or suppression.
    Flood: ability to move all the stuff given 48hrs notice.
    Theft,: Dogs, locks, wireless alarm system. etc
  8. 22-rimfire

    22-rimfire Member

    Jun 11, 2005
    I would store the firearms in a large safe. The rest of the stuff that are not display items, I would find a place that is humidity and temperature controlled whether it be inside your home or a climate controlled storage unit.

    For insect and rodent damage, I would place as much of the stuff in plastic tubs which are cataloged (and numbered) that would be appropriate for the size of the materials.

    As far as insurance goes, I would start with my homeowners insurance company and go from there. It might actually be easier to insure a locked storage unit.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page