1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Gun Laws

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Sh-ion, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sh-ion

    Sh-ion Member

    Oct 5, 2006
    Any native Californians know if it's legal to own a gun if your roommate was a felon at one point in history? I've heard alot of odd laws california has on guns but never seen any written proof. Also do you know if having certification from a gun safty class is manditory for all handguns or just CCW's?

  2. BamBam-31

    BamBam-31 Member

    Dec 25, 2002
    Don't know for sure about the roommate thing. My guess is that it's legal for you to buy, own, and possess a handgun regardless of who your roommate is (provided you're not a felon, too ;) ). Just a guess, though. IANAL.

    As for the handgun safety certificate, that's a requirement for any handgun purchase in California. You have to pay your fees and take the written test (very easy), and when you pass, you're issued your HSC (which is good for five years, IIRC). The HSC has nothing to do with CCW at all--it only certifies you as being eligible for purchase of a handgun.

    More info on the HSC: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/hscinfo.htm

    Go here and ask your question again: www.calguns.net.

    Good luck, and welcome to THR. :)
  3. Car Knocker

    Car Knocker Member

    Dec 28, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    If your roommate was a felon at one time, he still is a felon. It isn't like some exclusive club that one can resign from at will. Unless the conviction has been overturned or expunged, he'll be a felon to the day he dies.
  4. billwiese

    billwiese Member

    Apr 19, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    You can own gun(s) regardless of your roommates status - but felon roomie cannot have access to them (or ammunition).

    So this means they need to be locked up where he doesn't have access (safe, etc.)

    G. Gordon Liddy was convicted of felonies in Watergate, but his wife has a nice collection of Lugers in a safe :)

    It may be cheaper to acquire a new roommate than it is to get a new safe.

    To buy a handgun or have one transferred to you, you need an HSC card ('Handgun Safety Certificate'). To get this, you pay $25 and pass a simple multiple choice test: there is NO requirement for any 'class'.

    Also - If you already have acquired a handgun legally some time ago, you do not need this card for continued possession.
  5. jnojr

    jnojr Member

    Mar 19, 2004
    Reston, VA
    Why would you want a felon for a roommate?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page