Need some advice on Suppressor, blast deflector build.

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by Acera, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acera

    Acera Member

    May 26, 2007
    Free State of Texas
    From the look of it, I may be down to a week or so from getting another stamp to allow me to build a suppressor.

    I will be using parts from a local supplier and doing the work myself. Two of the items I will purchase from him will be the tube and an end cap specifically designed to thread onto a muzzle devices with QD mounts. Got multiple rifles with the same type of muzzle brake on them, so the suppressor will be able to go from one rifle to another quickly and easily.

    Now, the next part is where I am getting fuzzy on what the law allows and doesn't allow that I can get in trouble with.

    I also want to build at the same time a blast deflector. It will also thread onto the same rifles QD mounts just like the suppressor.

    My confusion comes here. I will be buying two identical end caps (that mount to the muzzle break, not enclose the other end of the tube), and one long tube (8+ inches for the can) and one short piece (about 2 inches) of tubing threaded on only one end for the blast deflector. So it will be a two piece blast deflector, tube and end cap.

    Will I be in illegal possession of one, or more, suppressor parts, since the end caps will be identical, and I only have a stamp for one suppressor?

    If so, how can I avoid that?

    I did not want to permanently attach either of the end caps to the tubes if it is not required. If I have to I will make it so the blast deflector can not come apart. (If required, advice will also be needed on doing that with Titanium)

    What I want to make is a non-NFA item similar to this.


  2. vtsteve

    vtsteve Member

    Jan 27, 2015
    Here's my opinion on this, and it's worth exactly what you're paying for it.

    "Gun Control Act Definitions

    18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(24)

    The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."

    So the way I'm reading it, if you have a part that is also used as part of a muzzle brake or blast deflector you should be in the clear. This is how the big manufacturers are able to sell certain mounts and endcaps as non regulated parts. This for example is why Silencerco has the "Octane Brake" in their product catalog.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice