1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refinishing aluminum grip frame

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing and Repairs' started by J Miller, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Miller

    J Miller Member

    Dec 25, 2002
    Central IL
    I have a Ruger XR3 grip frame that has had the color removed. I don't think all the anodizing is gone, but it's an aluminum color all over.
    I want to make it black again. Anodizing is pretty much out of the question.
    I have found only one shop in FL that would do it, and they charge $120.00+. This is way more than even an XR3 grip frame is worth.
    I know I can paint it, Brownell's has special paint for aluminum, but I don't know about it's durability.
    I would like some suggestions about what type of coatings or finishes could be used that would be similar to the original color and durable.
    Thanks for any info.
    J Miller
  2. DT Guy

    DT Guy Member

    Feb 23, 2003
    Brownells sells both epoxy-based Aluma Hyde (and Aluma-Hyde II) and heat cured Baking Lacquer/Teflon-Moly. I've used the baking lacquer and teflon-moly, both in black, and have been fairly well pleased. Finish can be good, fairly durable. Easy to re-do as well.

    If you want to re-anodize it, search for Caswell Plating. They list the stuff to anodize and nickel plate aluminum.

  3. Ebbtide

    Ebbtide Member

    Dec 27, 2002
    North Coast (Cleveland, OH)
    I have used the brownelle's finishes in the past with okay results, but my expectations were low.

    What I have found that it is best not to go with the canned paint but order it by the pint and use your own paint gun and compressor. You will get a much nicer finish. The best I could do ended up looking like the CZ finish on their new products. I have only done this over guns that were parkerized so when the finish chips off (I feel they all do) you dont see the white. Not sure on any alluminium options.

    I'm no expert on anodizing, but if you can find a local shop that anodizes other things, see if they could stick your frame in with other parts. I have taken some smaller parts to this place called "Hard Chrome Specialist" that I pass on my way to work and the guy plated some parts for beer money.

    Hope this helps,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page