After I retired in 2018, I packed up my reloading press, supplies, and components and moved back to the family farm in Arkansas. In 1980, I adjusted my RCBS 223 Remington standard (not small base) reloading dies to a point where they would produce rounds that fit the chambers of my father's and my own Mini-14s. These settings also proved appropriate for the AR-15s my wife and I bought for our sons. In 2016, a small tweak was needed when I added a Savage Axis to the collection, but in the end, I did not need to further adjust my dies to produce ammunition that was a "universal fit" for all of our 223 rifles. So, when I got my reloading bench rebuilt and was ready to start reloading, I screwed the dies into the press and took off loading a batch of 50 rounds. I use a single stage press so there is a die change after each step. I use a separate crimp die since I only crimp 223 if the bullet has a cannellure (which these did). Everything was going great until I screwed in the crimp die and tried to crimp the case. It turned out the crimp die had been adjusted for 5.7mm Johnson (based on 30 Carbine brass) and the case neck was crushed. So, lesson learned to not get complacent about checking the settings of the equipment before using it.