Artificially limiting a GLOCK magazine

Not open for further replies.


Dec 6, 2009
Downtown Salem, Oregon
I'm taking a trip to California this summer and wanted to bring my GLOCK 19 along. I have a 33rd mag, two 17rd mags, and two 15rd mags. Can i block off the 15 round mags to only hold ten like I did with my AR mags for hunting or am i going to have to just buy a couple 10rd'ers for the trip.
hmmm interesting inquiry. i would assume the 10 round limit law in cali is like the national one a few years back--mags cannot be alterable to a hi-capacity state. based on that, i'd think you need to buy the 10 rounders.

you could call the local pd where you're going and ask.
I would definitely call the local authority if you're thinking about doing this for a definite answer. Or you could just buy the extra mags...then you can either have a few extras or sell them (or sell some of your others if you preferred the 10s)
Can i block off the 15 round mags to only hold ten like I did with my AR mags for hunting or am i going to have to just buy a couple 10rd'ers for the trip.
Even if it were practical to block it off without causing malfunctions, it would be obvious that it was once "evil" simply by the number of cartridge counter holes. I rather think they will have this "loophole" covered. I suggest springing for the 10-rounders. This is what mine came with (I purchased it in CA during the AWB but before the permanent CA ban) and they functioned just fine.
Magazine restrictions generally only restrict sales and transfers to residents of the state and not the possession of a legally purchased magazines by either residents or non residents. As long as you don't give or let a California resident use your pistol with a prohibited magazine you should be within the law. Go to and look at the gun laws in California under the Legislative action tab.

Best to take your gun and your magazines and keep them locked in your car trunk in a case with pistol unloaded when traveling. Take it into the Hotel at nights for self defense if you feel the need. Otherwise keep your mouth shut about your pistol, don't let friends or relatives handle or shoot it when you are there as that could be considered a transfer. Obey the traffic code and you won't have any problems.
Or you could just go to Cali and forget the magazine laws....shhhhhh

Sorry, I'm kind of a modern day Robin Hood in that respect

Look, if CA mags are "blocked anyway" from holding more, as they could, without the blocks, then having mags that are "blocked" and only hold CA legal 10 rounds max at "such a time" the legal question was asked, and found to only hold 10 rounds, I doubt that they'd want to see proof of your *legal citizenship, as well.. ;)

Come to CA with your legal gun mags, made CA legal, by you.. the same way they are made for us.. "blocked, restricted" - legal


I wouldn't call the local cops to ask this question. It's highly doubtful they'd know the real answer.

Look it up online. If a non-resident of California can legally have full capacity magazines, I'd print out that page of the State Statutes to keep on hand, should I need to educate someone about the actual law.

That said, it'd be easier to buy some 10 rd mags. should have some for cheap.
I'm a photographer going down, I was hoping to do a shoot or three with some of my friends and models I know. I can't let my models hold a gun? No wonder I love Oregon so.
I'm also bringing my (off-register) .458S AR-15, it's just a Prince50 away from being Cali compliant.
CA PC 12020(c)(25)(A)

It is 100% legal to import/manufacture/possess/sell/etc. a 10 round magazine that has been modified from a large capacity magazine. However, the large capacity magazine needs to be permanently modified to 10 rounds or less.

If you are just coming to visit CA, get 10 round magazines.

Also, if you are a non-resident of CA and you bring your large capacity magazines to CA, then you are guilty of importing large capacity magazines, which is a felony [PC 12020(a)(2)].

CA Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.
Thanks for all the comments/suggestions and the actual code. I guess I'll order a pair of 10 rounders for the trip or just stash it in the safety deposit box. Probably flip a coin to decide.
Not open for further replies.